Sunday, 19 April 2015

Melbourne Trip - Part 1

We had been planning to do a big trip to Melbourne in the bus in October 2014 but with the bus not having a diff it looked like it wasn't going to happen at all. We talked about it a lot and prayed about and left it in Gods hands. At the final hour Ad was talking to his friend in Melbourne about what was happening and we that the trip was over for us. A couple of hours later his friend rang back, said he had spoken to his wife and they decided we should come and stay with them.

The next day we packed to car and sorted out what needed to be done. Here is my journal entries for each day, I will add photos and more details underneath.


Left home 6.50am

Stopped at rest area near Aratula for breakfast at 9.30am

Stopped at Warwick for ad to go to the Telstra shop.

Lunch at Omanama rest area. (You can free camp here) 12.30pm (just before Inglewood.)

Stopped at Goondiwindi for fuel. $80.

Narrabri for the night. Bellview motel, $120. Good. Kfc for tea.


We could not have fit more in the car if we tried! Concidering we were supposed to be doing this trip in a bus I think we did pretty well.

We are all ready for our big adventure. It was so last minute we didn't have time to worry about what we were doing, it just happened and it was probably a good thing that it was such a quick decision.

At the rest area at Omanama. The flys were terrible, just about carrying away our lunch! But the boys discovered an old fire truck which added some interest to the day.



Left narrabri 8.30am. Picked up water at Woolies.

Had a break at gilgandra. Nice gallery/museum at the info centre.

Had a coffee and boys had chocolate shakes at The Dish, had late lunch in car park.

Picked up fuel at Parkes, $100. 3.20pm.

Narrandera for the night. Gateway motel, $110. Basic. Pizza from Narrandera Pizzeria for tea, very good.


Gilgandra had a really nice Information Centre, Museum and Gallery all combined. The boys loved looking at the displays in the museum and I was very tempted to buy something in the gallery but the car was too full already.

Across the road was this piece of machinery that entertained the boys for a little while.

The Dish was a huge attraction for us. The boys loved it. And while we were there they turned the dish to a new direction which gave them a thrill. It is much bigger and impressive in real life.
The gardens at the front of the centre are lovely. Lots of things were in flower.
We pulled into a side road after we left the Dish and got some beautiful photos. You can see the dish in the distance if you look closely.

Disclaimer - the boys did plenty of "are we there yet?" And "he hit/touched/looked at me!" Along the way.

I'll be back with part 2 soon.



No comments:

Post a Comment